Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Refresher on Running Etiquette

Today class, I would like to go over some basic running etiquette.  Brought about from todays run (more on this later.)

1) When running on the trail, side walk, whatever, run no more than two abreast.  If on single track, then single file please.  This makes room for people coming from the opposite direction.  If you do happen to be running more than single file, then when you see people coming at you from the opposite direction, and you are in their way, then YOU move out of their way by going single file!

2) Keep right when not running on the road.  The reason for running on the left side of the road, is for safety reasons.  You move away from the vehicles that you can't see, and move towards the one you can see.  This allows you to dodge idiot drivers, instead of them hitting you.  When on the trails or side walks or whatever, on this continent, we drive on the right, so we run on the right.  Everyone around you is running on the right, and this is a good instance to be a sheep and join in for safety.  Big people don't like to dodge idiots, so we run through you (more on this later.)

3) If you need to spit or blow a snot rocket, look around and make sure you won't nail someone else with your bodily fluids.  We don't want to know what they feel like.  We have our own that we are trying to get rid of, no need to add yours to ours.

OK. Everyone clear on those?   Good.

Moving on.

Today's run was not too bad. I actually made the entire loop without stopping.  And that included when I collided with someone.  They were running 4 abreast and didn't move out of my path, and at this time I was tired of the people in my way, so I didn't slow, or move, I just was doing my own run in my own lane.  About half a mile earlier there were 3 people walking on the wrong side of the path, and I went around them shaking my head and decided that was dumb.  Then when I saw this next joker, I decided screw it, he was moving I wasn't since I didn't have any place left to go.  So I ran through him.  It was a hard thud on my arm that I felt.  I heard some kind of noise, but didn't look back because I was too busy having a good run.  There. I said it. I had a good run. 

I did the three miles in about 27:15 or so I think (I haven't checked the watch yet) and yeah, it felt good.  The last mile felt really long though, but it got done with out a walk break.  So, I am finally pleased with a run this year.  Things are looking good!

Tomorrow morning's run should be interesting.  25F at 5am.  I wonder how many people will be out there in the (actual) freezing temps.  This kid for one will be just to see who's there and to enjoy the rare cold down here (=

No comments:

Post a Comment