Monday, December 21, 2009

Memorial to Addicks Dam and Back

So I was in need of a long bike ride, and someone made mention on Friday about starting at Memorial Park and going West to Addicks dam.  And I thought that was a grand idea, so I made it happen.

I had a vague idea of what I was doing.  And at 7am Sunday I decided I should probably get a more than vague idea... So I Google mapped the route.  Looks nice and simple.  The plan was to meet at 8am at Memorial Park.  It ended up being just me and one other person.  We get going, and head West.  Following fairly busy streets (I hate riding on the roads!)  for the majority of this part of the leg of our journey.

So we ended up doing about 35 miles in around 4 hours.  That may seem slow... OK, it is slow, but the Ant Hills were pretty miserable and there was quite a bit of walking around and through stuff that wasn't very ridable.  So we killed a lot of time here.  Thanks to Ant Hills it seems our average speed was 8.6 mph. 

It was a good long slow ride, great for building up the base again.  I felt good most of the way through, towards the end my neck and back were starting to bother me a bit, but that was because I've not been on the bike that long in a while and also haven't worn a CamelBak in a long time either. Today my neck and shoulders are tight from this. 

And according to my T6c, I seemed to have burned off 1600 calories during this ride, which is another good thing.  Lots of weight left to lose after gaining it since my crash.  I'm on the right track here!

No comments:

Post a Comment